I have used Bold Butterfly Framelits and Hardwood background stamp (Clear Mount) this week to create a project for the Global Design Challenge “Case the Designer” Challenge – GDP024. Below is Michelle Last’s card and CASE stands for “Copy and Selectively Edit” on the GDP site. You can choose any one element, or all of the elements, to create a card of your own.
I elected to go with the Butterfly theme, and the blue/neutral colour scheme. I also wanted to create a shaker with a difference, but that didn’t really work out that well. Here is my card ….
I used the large solid butterfly die from Bold Butterfly framelits and die cut one in White Vellum and one in Designer Series Paper (this one is from Bohemian DSP). I wanted to sandwich some sequins inbetween the two to create a sort of shaker embellishment???
I placed some flat gold sequins between the vellum and DSP and carefully sewed around the edge to encapsulate the sequins. It is not the neatest sewing, a real test for my very basic sewing skills. And then, after all that, it turns out the sequins don’t really “shake”, in fact I was hard pressed to get them to move at all. However, this was still such a pretty little thing, I decided to go ahead and use it anyway. Maybe it would have been better to use glitter as the shaking element?
The base card is created with Tip Top Taupe card and I have partially stamped the Hardwood background stamp with Whisper White Craft Ink. This wasn’t quite strong enough in colour for my liking, so I then embossed the image with Whisper White embossing powder. To partially stamp the larger rubber background stamps you will need clear mount version, and use the stamp without applying to an acrylic block. I only ink up a portion of the stamp and then hold up two edges and apply pressure to part of the stamp only. It is meant to be a very random look. If you use wood mount stamps, try inking up part of the image only using a sponge to get a similar look.
Adding a scattering of adhesive pearls finished off the card. I quite like the end result, the vellum mutes the strong DSP pattern and ties in nicely with the creaminess of the white embossing and neutral card base.
The non-shaking sequins in the butterfly are totally random however I was pleased to discover that as the temperature changes here the vellum has warped a little bit and the sequins do in fact move around. It is more like a demented tic than a “shake”, but definitely some movement!
Catch you next time, maybe even on the Global Design Project page! 🙂